- 1 About
- 2 Translate Psiphon
- 2.1 Translation Guidelines
- 2.2 Translation Priorities & Resources
- 3 Localization Resources
- 4 Contact
Psiphon is an open-source Internet censorship circumvention tool that allows users to access blocked content and websites on iOS, Android and Windows devices. Psiphon uses a combination of secure communication and obfuscation technologies (VPN, SSH, and HTTP Proxy) to ensure you always have access to the open Internet.
Psiphon is available on Android, iOS, and Windows.
To ensure you download a verified version of Psiphon and not an unofficial or malicious copy, download from the Psiphon Website.
1. Create a Transifex Account:
- Haven't created a Transifex account yet? Create one here.
2. Join the Psiphon Translation Team:
3. Download Psiphon:
- Download Psiphon for the platforms you are translating! This is an important step that will allow you to get comfortable with the tool and view the original English strings and translations in context. Psiphon is available to download on Android, iOS and Windows.
4. Review the #Translation Guidelines:
- Make sure you are familiar with the Translation Guidelines before you begin translating. They contain important information like whether or not to translate or transcribe the Project name.
5. Start Translating from the #Translation Priorities & Resources:
- The list of resources and translation priorities will help you decide which content to work on first in the Psiphon project. Some resources are much more important to work on than others because they affect a larger number of Psiphon users. Dedicate your time on the resources that will make the most impact for users first.
Do not translate "Psiphon."
- Do not translate or transcribe "Psiphon". If you feel speakers of your language would benefit from a transcription of the project name, please place it in parentheses after the original name.
- Example: Psiphon (سايفون)
Be aware of placeholders.
- Many Psiphon strings contain placeholders which may replace HTML or XML tags or variables. It is important to retain those tags in the translation. You can move the placeholders depending on where they grammatically make the most sense in your language.
- Review the Transifex documentation to learn how to manage placeholders in the translation editor.
Translation Priorities & Resources
Where should you start translating? Below is a list of the highest priority resources for Psiphon and which apps they correspond with. You should begin translating the resources marked Urgent, then move to High Priority resources, finishing the rest of the resources last.
Psiphon Website Homepage (Psiphon 3_live)
"Psiphon 3_live" is the Psiphon website. For many, this page may be their first introduction to the Psiphon applications and it is important that it be available in all of the languages Psiphon tools are available in.
|www.psiphon.ca (Psiphon Home Page)||Urgent|
The Psiphon 3 project contains all of the resources associated with the various Psiphon 3 applications on Android, iOS and Windows. Some resources are higher priority than others based on user habits.
Psiphon VPN for Android
The Android application resources are the highest priority in this project because in most regions, Android devices are more common than iOS devices and mobile devices are more popular than computers.
|Android App browser strings||Urgent|
|Android App strings||Urgent|
|Android Library strings||Urgent|
|Store Assets (Google Play Store Description)||High Priority|
Psiphon VPN for iOS
|iOS Common Library: Root.strings||Urgent|
|iOS VPN App: Localizable.strings||Urgent|
|iOS Common Library: Localizable.strings||Urgent|
|iOS VPN App: Store Assets (Apple AppStore Description)||High Priority|
Email Template & Feedback Strings
|Email Template Strings||High Priority|
|Feedback Auto-responses||High Priority|
|Feedback Template Strings||High Priority|
|Website strings||High Priority|
Please translate the Download Page strings first. You can find them by typing "tags:Download-Page" into the filter in the Transifex web editor. The relevant strings will appear in the left-hand panel of the editor.
Psiphon VPN for Windows
|Windows Client strings||Low Priority|
Psiphon Browser for iOS
The Psiphon Browser for iOS is one of the lowest priority applications. The majority of users interested in Psiphon will opt to use the iOS VPN application instead of the browser.
|iOS Browser App: IASKLocalizable.strings||Low Priority|
|iOS Browser App: InfoPlist.strings||Low Priority|
|iOS Browser App: Localizable.strings||Low Priority|
|iOS Browser App: OnePasswordExtension.strings||Low Priority|
|iOS Browser App: Root.strings||Low Priority|
|iOS Browser App: Store Assets||Low Priority|
Psiphon 2 is currently not a priority for the Psiphon Project because it is only used by a select number of users. However, if you would like to see Psiphon 2 in your language, please contact us to let us know and we can help you coordinate the translation and review.
Contact erinm if you are interested in contributing to Psiphon as a volunteer translator or reviewer or have feedback about the project.