Resources that need translation by the 30th of October:
Take a look at the summary of our June 2017 Tor Project AMA (Ask Me Anything)
- 1 Translate Tor
- 2 Localization Resources
- 3 Contact
"Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security."
The Tor Project project in Transifex contains the resources necessary to localize Tor Browser, Tor for Android and several other Tor-related services like Tails and HTTPS Everywhere.
|To release a localized version of Tor Browser, Mozilla's Firefox Extended Support Release must first be available.
You can contribute to Mozilla Firefox translations through Mozilla's localization platform Pontoon.
Tor Browser Essentials
These resources are required for a Tor Browser "minimum viable product" release and should be translated first:
- Torbutton - aboutDialog.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - aboutTBUpdate.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - about:tor homepage (translate)
- Torbutton - brand.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - brand.properties (translate)
- Tor button - browseronboardingproperties (translate)
- Tor button - securityLevel.properties (translate)
- Torbutton - torbutton.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - torbutton.properties (translate)
- Tor Launcher - network-settings.dtd (translate)
- Tor Launcher - properties (translate)
- TBA - Tor Browser for Android (translate)
- Check out Tor Project localization progress across languages!
Tor Browser Supplemental
These resources are not absolutely required for a Tor Browser release, but they are highly valuable for maximum Tor Browser usability and publicity:
- BridgeDB (translate)
- The website at https://bridges.torproject.org
- HTTPS Everywhere - ssl-observatory.dtd
- HTTPS Everywhere - https-everywhere.properties
- Tor Misc - animation-titles.pot
- Tor Misc - tor-and-https.pot
- Tor Misc - ExoneraTor.properties
- TorCheck - TorCheck.pot
- Release_tweets (translate)
- Small phrases to use on Twitter. Help us spread the word about Tor in your language!
The Tor Project Web project can accept translations from languages that Tor Browser cannot support (due to Mozilla ESR limitations listed above.)
The resources below are listed by priority. Please respect the order of the list and always keep the highest priority translations updated before starting a translation further down the list.
- Tor Support Portal (translate, preview, stats)
- FAQ with the basics about what Tor is and how to use it. Translations needed!
- Tor Browser User Manual (translate, preview, stats)
- A great resource for starting to understand privacy and for first-time users of Tor. Translations needed!
- Tor Project Animation (translate)
- Subtitles for the "How Tor Protects Your Privacy" video.
- Tor Project Homepage (translate, preview)
- Note: The Tor Project staff bios are the lowest translation priority in this resource. You can filter them out and prioritize the rest of the website content by inputing "tags_not_contains:bio" in the Filters field in the Transifex translation editor.
- Tor Project Outreach Materials (translate)
- Collection of Tor user stories and how-to information for community outreach.
- Tor Project Donate Page (translate)
- Tor Project donations page.
This operating system includes Tor Browser and other privacy-preserving features and apps. It is based on Debian and offers many locales translated on Debian. But Tails in itself has a series of interfaces and messages to translate too.
- Tails Installer - the application to install Tails USB sticks translate
- Tails - mat-gui - the Metadata Anonimization Toolkit translate
- Tails Misc - tails.pot
- Tails - onioncircuits.pot
- Tails - openpgp-applet.pot
- Tails - tails-greeter-2.pot
- Tails - tails-iuk.pot
- Tails - tails-perl5lib.pot
- Tails - tails-persistence-setup.pot
- Tails - whisperback.pot
This is an extension to use Thunderbird through the Tor network, and other privacy features.
- TorBirdy - torbirdy.dtd
- TorBirdy - torbirdy.properties
This is a website that lets anyone check if a particular IP address was Tor relay.
Voice & Tone:
- When addressing the user, use the 2nd person informal pronoun "tú".
- New Tor locales Auto-updated page with newly translated locales.
You can find the Tor team on irc.oftc.net in one of the following channels depending on your area of interest:
- #tor-l10n: For localization related questions.
- #tor: For general Tor questions and support. For users of Tor.
- #tor-project: Discussion related to events, outreach and translation.
- #tor-dev: For those interested in Tor development.
- #tor-south: Global South Initiative channel.