Help us translate the Tor Project homepage by March 24th, 2019! How can you contribute? See #Tor Project Web below.
Take a look at the summary of our June 2017 Tor Project AMA (Ask Me Anything)
- 1 About
- 2 Translate Tor
- 3 Localization Resources
- 4 Contact
"Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security."
The Tor Project project in Transifex contains the resources necessary to localize Tor Browser, Tor for Android and several other Tor-related services like Tails and HTTPS Everywhere.
To release a localized version of Tor Browser, Mozilla's Firefox Extended Support Release must first be available. You can contribute to Mozilla Firefox translations through Mozilla's localization platform Pontoon.
Tor Browser Essentials
These resources are required for a Tor Browser "minimum viable product" release and should be translated first:
- Torbutton - aboutDialog.dtd
- Torbutton - aboutTBUpdate.dtd
- Torbutton - about:tor homepage
- Torbutton - brand.dtd
- Torbutton - brand.properties
- Tor button - browseronboardingproperties
- Tor button - securityLevel.properties
- Torbutton - torbutton.dtd
- Torbutton - torbutton.properties
- Tor Launcher - network-settings.dtd
- Tor Launcher - progress
Tor Browser Supplemental
These resources are not absolutely required for a Tor Browser release, but they are highly valuable for maximum Tor Browser usability and publicity:
- BridgeDB - bridgedb.pot
- HTTPS Everywhere - ssl-observatory.dtd
- HTTPS Everywhere - https-everywhere.properties
- Tor Misc - animation-titles.pot
- Tor Misc - tor-and-https.pot
- Tor Misc - ExoneraTor.properties
- TorCheck - TorCheck.pot
This operating system includes Tor Browser and other privacy-preserving features and apps:
- Tails - liveusb-creator.pot
- Tails - mat-gui.pot
- Tails Misc - tails.pot
- Tails - onioncircuits.pot
- Tails - openpgp-applet.pot
- Tails - tails-greeter-2.pot
- Tails - tails-iuk.pot
- Tails - tails-perl5lib.pot
- Tails - tails-persistence-setup.pot
- Tails - whisperback.pot
- TorBirdy - torbirdy.dtd
- TorBirdy - torbirdy.properties
Exonerator is a website that lets anyone check if a particular IP address was Tor relay.
The Tor Project Support & Community Portal project can accept translations from languages that Tor Browser cannot support (due to Mozilla ESR limitations listed above.)
- Tor Project Donate Page (donate-messages.pot)
- #Tor Support Portal (support-portal-contents.pot)
- Tor Browser User Manual (tbmanual-contents.pot)
- Tor Project Animation Subtitles (Tor Misc - Tor_animation.srt)
- Tor Project Outreach Materials (tor-outreach2019-2020.md)
- Tor Project Homepage (tpo-contentspot)
- Tor Project Homepage Staging Site: See your translations in context on the Tor Project Homepage staging site.
- Note: The Tor Project staff bios are the lowest translation priority in this resource. You can filter them out and prioritize the rest of the website content by inputing "tags_not_contains:bio" in the Filters field in the Transifex translation editor.
Voice & Tone:
- When addressing the user, use the 2nd person informal pronoun "tú".
- New Tor locales Auto-updated page with newly translated locales.
IRC: You can find the Tor team on irc.oftc.net in one of the following channels depending on your topic:
- #tor-l10n: For localization related questions.
- #tor: For general Tor questions and support. For users of Tor.
- #tor-project: Discussion related to events, outreach and translation.
- #tor-dev: For those interested in Tor development.
- #tor-south: Global South Initiative channel.