Take a look at the summary of our June 2017 Tor Project AMA (Ask Me Anything)
- 1 About
- 2 Translate Tor
- 3 Localization Resources
- 4 Contact
"Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security."
The Tor Project project in Transifex contains the resources necessary to localize Tor Browser, Tor for Android and several other Tor-related services like Tails and HTTPS Everywhere.
To release a localized version of Tor Browser, Mozilla's Firefox Extended Support Release must first be available. You can contribute to Mozilla Firefox translations through Mozilla's localization platform Pontoon.
Tor Browser Essentials
These resources are required for a Tor Browser "minimum viable product" release and should be translated first:
- Torbutton - aboutDialog.dtd translate
- Torbutton - aboutTBUpdate.dtd translate
- Torbutton - about:tor homepage translate
- Torbutton - brand.dtd translate
- Torbutton - brand.properties translate
- Tor button - browseronboardingproperties translate
- Tor button - securityLevel.properties translate
- Torbutton - torbutton.dtd translate
- Torbutton - torbutton.properties translate
- Tor Launcher - network-settings.dtd translate
- Tor Launcher - properties translate
- TBA - Tor Browser for Android translate
Tor Browser Supplemental
These resources are not absolutely required for a Tor Browser release, but they are highly valuable for maximum Tor Browser usability and publicity:
- BridgeDB: translate The website at https://bridges.torproject.org
- HTTPS Everywhere - ssl-observatory.dtd
- HTTPS Everywhere - https-everywhere.properties
- Tor Misc - animation-titles.pot
- Tor Misc - tor-and-https.pot
- Tor Misc - ExoneraTor.properties
- TorCheck - TorCheck.pot
- Release_tweets: translate let us spread the word about Tor in your language! small phrases to use on Twitter.
The Tor Project Web Portals project can accept translations from languages that Tor Browser cannot support (due to Mozilla ESR limitations listed above.)
Please respect the order of the translations, and try to keep the first translations always updated before starting a translation further down the list.
- Tor Support Portal (translate, preview, stats) FAQ with the basics about what Tor is and how to use it. Translations needed!
- Tor Browser User Manual - A great resource for users starting to understand about privacy. (translate, preview, stats) Translations needed!
- Tor Project Animation Subtitles for the video (translate)
- Tor Project Homepage (translate, preview)
- Note: The Tor Project staff bios are the lowest translation priority in this resource. You can filter them out and prioritize the rest of the website content by inputing "tags_not_contains:bio" in the Filters field in the Transifex translation editor.
- Tor Project Outreach Materials (tor-outreach2019-2020.md)
- Tor Project Donate Page (translate) our donation page.
This operating system includes Tor Browser and other privacy-preserving features and apps. It is based on Debian and offers many locales translated on Debian. But Tails in itself has a series of interfaces and messages to translate too.
- Tails Installer - the application to install Tails USB sticks translate
- Tails - mat-gui - the Metadata Anonimization Toolkit translate
- Tails Misc - tails.pot
- Tails - onioncircuits.pot
- Tails - openpgp-applet.pot
- Tails - tails-greeter-2.pot
- Tails - tails-iuk.pot
- Tails - tails-perl5lib.pot
- Tails - tails-persistence-setup.pot
- Tails - whisperback.pot
This is an extension to use Thunderbird through the Tor network, and other privacy features.
- TorBirdy - torbirdy.dtd
- TorBirdy - torbirdy.properties
Exonerator is a website that lets anyone check if a particular IP address was Tor relay.
Voice & Tone:
- When addressing the user, use the 2nd person informal pronoun "tú".
- New Tor locales Auto-updated page with newly translated locales.
IRC: You can find the Tor team on irc.oftc.net in one of the following channels depending on your topic:
- #tor-l10n: For localization related questions.
- #tor: For general Tor questions and support. For users of Tor.
- #tor-project: Discussion related to events, outreach and translation.
- #tor-dev: For those interested in Tor development.
- #tor-south: Global South Initiative channel.