Take a look at the summary of our June 2017 Tor Project AMA (Ask Me Anything)
- 1 Translate Tor
- 2 Localization Resources
- 3 Contact
"Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security."
1. Create a Transifex Account:
- Haven't created a Transifex account yet? Create one here.
2. Join the Tor Project & Tor Project Web Translation Team:
3. Download Tor Browser:
- Consider downloading Tor Browser for the platforms you are translating This will allow you to get comfortable with the tool and view the original English strings and translations in context. Tor Browser is available to download on Android, Linux, OS X and Windows.
4. Start Translating from the #Translation Priorities & Resources:
- The list of resources and translation priorities will help you decide which content to work on first in the Psiphon project. Some resources are much more important to work on than others because they affect a larger number of Psiphon users. Dedicate your time on the resources that will make the most impact for users first.
Translation Priorities & Resources
The Tor Project project in Transifex contains the resources necessary to localize Tor Browser, Tor Browser for Android and several other Tor-related services like Tails and HTTPS Everywhere.
|To release a localized version of Tor Browser, Mozilla's Firefox Extended Support Release must first be available.
You can contribute to Mozilla Firefox translations through Mozilla's localization platform Pontoon.
Tor Browser Essentials
These resources are required for a Tor Browser "minimum viable product" release and should be translated first:
- Torbutton - aboutDialog.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - aboutTBUpdate.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - about:tor homepage (translate)
- Torbutton - brand.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - brand.properties (translate)
- Tor button - browseronboardingproperties (translate)
- Torbutton - torbutton.dtd (translate)
- Torbutton - torbutton.properties (translate)
- Tor Launcher - network-settings.dtd (translate)
- Tor Launcher - properties (translate)
- SnowflakeAddOn-messages.json (translate)
- TBA - Tor Browser for Android (translate)
Tor Browser Supplemental
These resources are not absolutely required for a Tor Browser release, but they are highly valuable for maximum Tor Browser usability and publicity:
- BridgeDB (translate)
- The website at https://bridges.torproject.org
- HTTPS Everywhere - https-everywhere.dtd (translate)
- Tor Misc - animation-titles.pot (translate)
- Tor Misc - tor-and-https.pot (translate)
- Tor Misc - ExoneraTor.properties (translate)
- TorCheck - TorCheck.pot (translate)
- Tor Project Tweets (translate)
- Small phrases to use on Twitter. Help us spread the word about Tor in your language!
- Tor Policies - Code of Conduct (translate)
- Orfox Sunsetting Strings (translate)
- Tor Relay Operator Instructions (translate)
The Tor Project Web project can accept translations from languages that Tor Browser cannot support (due to Mozilla ESR limitations listed above.)
The resources below are listed by priority. Please respect the order of the list and always keep the highest priority translations updated before starting a translation further down the list.
Please read the links section in the tor wiki doc before to see how to translate, and avoid many common errors. Thanks!
- Tor Browser User Manual (translate, preview, stats)
- A great resource for starting to understand privacy and for first-time users of Tor. Translations needed!
- Tor Support Portal (translate, preview, stats)
- FAQ with the basics about what Tor is and how to use it. Translations needed!
- Tor Project Animation (translate)
- Subtitles for the "How Tor Protects Your Privacy" video.
- Tor Project Homepage (translate, preview)
- Tor Community Portal (translate, preview)
- Tor Project Outreach Materials (translate)
- Collection of Tor user stories and how-to information for community outreach.
- Tor Project Donate Page (translate)
- Tor Project donations page.
This operating system includes Tor Browser and other privacy-preserving features and apps. It is based on Debian and offers many locales translated on Debian. But Tails in itself has a series of interfaces and messages to translate too.
Resources in the Tor Project on Transifex
- Tails Installer - the application to install Tails USB sticks (translate)
- Tails - MAT (Metadata Anonimization Toolkit) client (translate)
- Tails GUI - tails.pot (translate)
- Tails - onioncircuits.pot (translate)
- Tails - whisperback.pot (translate)
- Tails - openpgp-applet.pot (translate)
This is an extension to use Thunderbird through the Tor network, and other privacy features.
This is a website that lets anyone check if a particular IP address was Tor relay.
- Tor Misc - ExoneraTor.properties (translate)
- Check out Tor Project localization progress across languages!
Voice & Tone:
- When addressing the user, use the 2nd person informal pronoun "tú".
- New Tor locales Auto-updated page with newly translated locales.
You can find the Tor team on irc.oftc.net in one of the following channels depending on your area of interest:
- #tor-l10n: For localization related questions.
- #tor: For general Tor questions and support. For users of Tor.
- #tor-project: Discussion related to events, outreach and translation.
- #tor-dev: For those interested in Tor development.
- #tor-south: Global South Initiative channel.